Sunday, August 28, 2011

Changing My look

I write this post with much caution. I didn't even want to post it, but since this blog is about my life and my family's life I wanted to share what has effected me/us deeply this week. I am also hoping this will be therapeutic. I do not pride myself on the way I have handled the following situation:

Earlier this week I made a HUGE change to my hair. More drastic than I have ever done. It has been very painful. Actually, it has affected me in ways I never thought a haircut could. I have felt less self-confident, anxious and a little depressed. I have come to realize that I am not as sad about the actual hair cut as I am about how I have reacted over something so meaningless in the big scheme of things. I wish it didn't, I wish I could just enjoy it instead of wishing it away. I often have to tell myself to snap out of it and remember that it is just hair, it grows, and it won't be like this forever. But this week has felt like FOREVER. I have done my research about how to make hair grow faster. I have had a hard time sleeping because of regret. I wake up in the middle of the night all of a sudden, feeling a little relieved, thinking it was just a nightmare. But then I move, I touch my hair and realized it wasn't a dream at all, this is reality. During the day, I will be busy enough to forget (a nice break), but as I walk past a mirror or a car or store window, I am reminded of my choice. When I go out, I don't look at faces or clothes anymore, I look at hair. I stare in envy. I also noticed that I now have shorter hair than 90% of the male, teenage population! When I see someone with a similar cut, I realize they don't looks so bad, so why do I?

My biggest concern and anxiety has came from wondering what my biggest critics would say about it- Ashlyn was one of them. You can tell when a child is lying- they take a minute to think about it. She didn't, she was nice to me, she told me she loved it right away and went on to draw me a picture to make me feel better. Dylan was honest too, he doesn't really like it, but I also know he doesn't care.

The truth is, I asked for this cut, I didn't just get a bad hair cut on accident. I told her to do it. She did a great job actually. I was feeling very excited about a change. Feeling daring and confident that I could pull off any hair cut my whim would blow me. For a long time I have wondered and desired a hair cut like this. I just had never tried it, never had the guts. This time my guts made an appearance. Guts I wished had stayed hidden. I miss feeling my hair move, I miss making it curl, I miss feeling more like a woman. I miss looking in the mirror and loving my hair.

The good part- I don't have to wonder anymore. I can say "did that, been there." I will save the short hair for my senior years. I also have better bed head.

I just needed to get that out. I know all of you are going to gush to me about how much you love it, whether you are being honest or not, I will never know. The people who don't like it have been kind enough not to mention it at all. Those who maybe do like it or who are just nice, have said a lot of nice things. Things I really appreciate them saying. However, the nice things will have to keep coming for a few more months while this mop grows.

I also have learned a few things about myself, or about how other's view me...
  • My friend was surprised when I told her my reaction to my hair. She told me she was relieved to know that I had an insecurity. It was nice for me to find out that people might view me as a confident person. On the inside I am more insecure than I would like to divulge.
  • I was grateful for the one word I heard twice- VOGUE
  • A running colleague said one of his favorite cuts his wife has had is a pixie similar to mine.
  • Finding out a few friends have had it worse and live to tell their tale
  • A teenage boy said it made me look younger- that can only be good
The unveiling...
I know, not too terrible from the front, it is the back that gives me the heart attack. It is VERY short.

In case you are wondering how you can make me feel better, go straight to your salon and get a cut just like it. We can grow it out together! I already asked Ashlyn to do me that favor- she turned me down.

The dreaded seminary starts tomorrow, I better get to bed.

14 comments:

rnichols said...

Here's my honest gushing for ya: I LOVE it you vogue lady!

xoxo,
Rach

Jackie said...

I'll be straight with you too: you look mega chic. I think it's super sophisticated but fun. But I'm biased... I love pixie cuts.

Work it, girl!

jeanine said...

Seriously you look gorgeous!!! I love it! You can totally pull this off!

Rachel said...

As I said the other day - you have a great face for short hair. And it makes your earrings stand out. And you look cute no matter what. But I've totally been there, done that. PS - horse shampoo doesn't work. lol. :)

Three Men and a Little Lady said...

Honestly Michal, I've always thought you were such a beautiful person, and we all have our insecurities. I think you could shave your head and still be exquisite. I actually really like it. I wish I had the guts myself. I think I would have by now, but Scott won't let me. I say run with it, and be you're confident self. I think you are more confident then you think. You are like super mom to me, you do it all, and still look awesome with your bed head!

Jessica Brown said...

I think the cut looks great. You just jumped a level in stylish mom looks!

Emily Poll said...

wow...michal you look stunning! i just wish i could see the haircut in person...i miss you:) honestly, your face is perfect for this cut and it is so sassy & fun! kudos to you for having the guts to go for it. plus, it'll be long again before you know it!

Bridgett Johnson said...

I read your description and I totally could relate. When we were in nursery together I cut my long hair for shorter and then after you left I cut it even shorter and I felt like a boy. I was very uncomfortable especially when I washed it and I couldn't feel anything in the back. I made me nervous and very unconfident in myself. I don't know how short hair did that but it did. So I totally understand and you explained it very well. By the way you look gorgeous.

Morgan said...

michal, it looks beautiful! it must just be a personal thing, because i have absolutely loved the short hair! i don't think i will keep it forever, but it has been so fun! sorry you don't like it, but you do look fabulous!

Steve and Liz Evans said...

i am sad we didnt get tosee more of you guys when you were in town. I love the family pics! By the way I can't really see the back of your hair but it looks really cute from the front! I know what you mean when you just feel different. You are brave to try it! I give you props! Come to California next week!!! We will be there!

mks said...

you do have a great face for it! thanks for sharing. i love when blogs share real things and feelings

Marci said...

Oh Michal...I can totally relate to EVERYTHING you said... Especially about feeling feminine. I cut my hair even shorter than yours a few years ago and struggled with everything you described. I too had always wanted to try it but eventually regretted it. To be totally honest, I think you have strong facial features that allow you to completely pull it off. Really and truly, you look great. And you are right, it will grow...hang in there!

The Coxes said...

Michal - you are so beautiful. You could shave your hair all off, and you'd still be beautiful. :)

KaraLynne and Andy said...

I actually think you look super duper cute - but i dont know if id have the guts to cut mine -