Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Leaves, Leaves and more Leaves!!

This is for all my friends in Boston who wish they had a house (or even a yard), and also for my friends and family who live in the dry West who wish they had greener vegetation.


This picture represents what I did today- ALL day! This is 1 of 5 piles of leaves that I raked in the BACKYARD alone- and only two weeks worth of leaves. I promise that this pile is bigger than it looks in the picture (taken by Dylan who refused to come out and be in it- pretty good for a three year old)! But it didn't end at making huge piles. I then had to rake them onto a tarp and pull them to the front curb. I decided our curb isn't big enough. I also didn't realize how heavy leaves are! By the last few loads I also had a couple of kids on the tarp as well. I didn't know it would be so hard to juggle leaf raking and two kids in the cold! So nap time, and a little TV really helped. It didn't help that my Dylan, with his three year old curiosity (those with three year olds know what I mean) asked why we have to rake the leaves. It really made me rethink the worth of what I was doing.

Most of you are probably wondering why a 7 month pregnant woman is raking so many leaves. Today was one of a VERY FEW dry, and amazingly sunny, days here. I had to take advantage of being able to rake dry leaves, wet ones are even harder to rake! I also have a husband who gets home after dark and I wanted to spare him the hours in the dark. To top it off- our "leaf guy" comes any day now to suck up our leaves.

So to all of those who don't even own a rake- I envied you today!!

7 comments:

Laura Judd said...

I hate you for still be able to wear your winter coat; I can't even get the zippers to meet on mine by several inches...PS I have discovered big leaves are much easier to rake than the skinny thin ones

Ashley Funk said...

I have to say, you don't look seven-months pregnant! What a chore that must have been. I can't even imagine. I think I would have been lazy and gone with Dylan on this one--it seems like a never-ending job!

Morgan said...

good for you. those piles do look huge actually! i don't mind raking, but the moving of the leaves (putting in trash or on tarps and having to move it) is so not fun!

Carrie said...

Hey now, I live in the West and we have that many leaves in our yard. They just happen to be sitting under a nice little dusting of freshly fallen snow and to be of the heavy wet variety you spoke of.

Jenny said...

I'm impressed Michal! That is a ton of leaves. This fall was my first experience of raking and bagging lots of leaves. I can't imagine doing it pregnant. I hope you took a nap!

jeanine said...

I"m so impressed... and jealous that you have enough trees to create so many leaves. We only have one VERY scrawny tree.

Katt said...

I now have a sudden urge to jump in a great big pile of leaves.