Wednesday, July 30, 2008

We've RELOCATED!!

We finally got Internet and so I am back on the Blogging map! We are doing well, though we realize how much we hate to move(7 times in 6 years!) So here is my tribute to our latest move:

[Isn't it sad when people start to ask you for moving advice?- I really have]

Great Moving Tips:
1.Disconnect and connect ALL utilities in advance (this includes gas- so you can have hot water!) Try to schedule cable and Internet guy to come in the same 4 hour window!
2.Cook and freeze at least three extra meals. Store them in old pie tins, you can then heat them up when EVERYTHING is packed.
3. Give your kids markers/crayons on packing day and also unpacking day, so they can draw on everything they see!! (well, minus the walls)
4. Start studying for your drivers exam- each state has it's "unique" rules (or can I just say stupid).
5. Prepare your families names and birth dates for the ward clerk- addresses and old ward/stake is even more helpful! I might as well make a document on my computer and then I can just print one off each move.
6. Start making a list of all the address changes you will have to make.

Let me know if you have any to add- I am sure I will need them


You Know You Move Too Much When:
1. Your child starts to make friends with the movers..
2. As you unpack you find two different sets of number tags on them (from different moves), or they are written on and crossed out so many times you don't know what is really in them.
3. You Know the moving process so well you could be a mover, or you feel you could do it better (except that you wouldn't if you did.)
4. Your friends are tired of erasing/ crossing out your address in their address book.
5. You really do "spring cleaning"! You literally do an "inventory" of all your belongings yearly.
6. You start not to care what your driver's license picture looks like cause it will change soon enough, and you hope you remember what you read from studying for last year's driver's exam!
7. You have a collection of license plates.
8. Your parents now see more of the United States than they would have.

All the fun we have had:
They wouldn't let me get my license cause my middle name on my Ohio licence and my SS card did not match. So they thought producing a marriage license would solve it all!?!?
Connor failed his first driver's exam- due to the three kids we toted to the DMV and the silly NC laws we didn't get familiar with before attempting the exam.
Waiting for the cable guy three times (each with a four hour window!)
Dylan is serious candy to these mosquitoes -10 minutes outside and he is COVERED in bites.
Can I say HOT and HUMID!!!!!
Connor's main complaint at work from the plant employees is that they are out of popcorn in the employee break room.
I have been asked three times in one week "have you found a church?"
I have been called "sweetypie", "baby", and "honey" all by complete strangers.
Ashlyn cries about wanting to go to Cami and Kristen's house.
Dylan will take just about any friend right now- old or young.
I have already found a handful of connections in our ward (one plus of moving).
Cockroaches!!!
Dylan and Ashlyn fighting about what to listen to at bed time (they are new roommates!!)
It has taken us two weeks to find the pool.

All and all- we are settling in and starting to figure Raleigh out. The people are so nice here. However, No one will ever replace those we have left behind!

15 comments:

Ashley Funk said...

I can sure relate to all your moving experiences! We've moved four times in four years of marriage, but I think we'll be here for at least another year! It can be really a pain and emotionally difficult, too, but also brings some great experiences. Good luck adjusting to everything!

Ashley Funk said...

Oops - I miscalculated - Make that five moves in four years!

Mandy said...

You guys moved agian! Are you going to be there for a while. I have heard it is really nice there. We sure miss you guys. Your kids are huge and Dylan looks the esact same as he did as a newborn.

Kristen said...

We miss you more than words can tell! I know that sounds cheesey but it's true!
I'm glad you've got the internet again!

Jenny said...

Wow, Michal. I can relate to everything you've put on your lists. It's all so true. It made me smile (and made me glad that we're already all moved in). Hopefully you guys get settled quickly and get back to normal life. How long are you in NC for?

ty and megs said...

wow. glad you are getting settled! thanks for all the moving advice. we'll be needing all the advice we can get come spring.

Meggan said...

We've moved a lot. Now we are in school out of state we have actually lived somewhere longer than the usual 6 months to a year. It got to the point though, that my dad would tell people, that I could move everything on my lunch hour. We had done it that many times. Good luck with unpacking and getting back settled!

jeanine said...

Wow! I'll have to look up this post when we move... you have some great tips! Oh... and we have some friends in Ralliegh! You'll have to keep an eye out for Emily and Jake Bartlett (Emily actually lived in Heritage the same time as us and hung out with Willis's apartment a bunch)

Robyn said...

Moving pet peeves aside, one of my WORST pet peeves is "darling", "honey", "Sweetiepie", etc! UUGGGG! :)

Carrie said...

I have so many things I want to say, I don't even know where to begin.

1. We're at 7 moves in 6 years too!
2. Instead of changing your liscense, just leave it! I lived in Idaho for 2 years and didn't get a liscense from there at all! So illegal I know but my ut liscense wasn't expired.
3. I hate being called sweetypie, baby and honey. Although if said with a southern flair, I might not hate quite so badly.
4. The gutting of all our stuff is my FAVORITE part about moving. I'll love getting rid of stuff we never use or need!

Sorry about the heat, humidity and bugs! And I'll never get tired of crossing out your address and rewriting it as long as I know where you are!

Kendra Leigh said...

Welcome back to the east coast! :)

Mary Pugh said...

I'm impressed you actually change your drivers license. I haven't changed mine yet and we've lived here for 3 years! Good luck in the new city!

Brad, Tracee and Brooks said...

I'm glad to hear you are settling in. You are quicker than us-we still don't have our computer set up-or a house-yikes! The play looked like it went really well-I wish I could have seen it! We miss you guys! Good Luck with getting to know your new home-you are so good at this whole moving thing-thanks for the tips! Love ya!

Tasha said...

Are the Cox's still there? Are you anywhere near them?

Unknown said...

Definitely useful information still! Thank you for forwarding this. We sure are going to miss your cute family and the opportunity to get to know you even better. See you at the Ragnar! xx