Saturday, April 24, 2010

The Stork Came

It's official- the Stork came to our house (thanks to my friend Niti!) I have never had one come before- and it is super fun!

So this delicious babe...


As you well heard, came pretty smoothly. Everyone has been asking for my side of the story since Connor had a debut on the blog with the his version.

I am not known for having contractions that are spaced out and then slowly become closer together. I start out right at 4 min and decrease from there. So after an hour of contractions like this I decided I really was in labor (Connor would say "duh" right here.) I do admit that I would have enjoyed leaving earlier than we did. So our 39 mile drive to UNC Hospital only took about 15 min! Connor was probably worried we would have another Corbin experience (pushing in the car and a baby 30 min after arriving at the hospital.) Triage took WAY longer than I had imagined, or maybe I was so tired from having no relief between contractions (now at 1 min apart.) I felt like a nag cause I kept asking when I was going to get that dang epidural. I have never had one before (excluding my C-section) and wanted to enjoy it while I could. While the anesthesiologist was putting my epidural in I had all the urges to push. My fear was that I would push her out before I had time for the epidural to take effect. This was a fear mainly due to the fact that my last two VBAC births have also been 4th degree tears- which everyone keeps telling me is "so rare." I was given a lecture on the repercussions it could have on my body if I had another tear to that degree. Thus the midwife group and all the worry- I knew I needed to be able to push slowly so I would tear less. Luckily, I had a WONDERFUL nurse and midwife on call. She massaged and oiled and coached me through all the pushing. I can say that I LOVE EPIDURALS!!! I think Connor loved it just as much. Prior to, Connor did say he thought I was going to break his hand. And with my other births I almost broke his back. This experience was surreal. It was wonderful to enjoy the experience instead of hate it and wish it were over. I was finally able to hold a baby right after birth and Connor was able to cut the cord. You would think with three other births we would have had these experiences. I only tore to a #1- which was a miracle in the eyes of all the midwives in the practice. It is truly amazing how much easier this recovery has been!

I am thankful to all of those who gave me positive advice and encouragement. I am thankful to my Father in Heaven who loves me and was able to direct me in the path that I should take for this birth and who showed me love through helping me deal with my own fears.

7 comments:

Brianne Christopher said...

What a wonderful story (from both sides). We love you guys! Enjoy the smooth recovery - although I don't know how anything could be "smooth" coming back to a house full of kids. You're awesome.

Kristen said...

Thanks for writing your birth story! I am so glad that things went so smooth and everything!

Kamryn is such a beautiful baby.

Rachel said...

That is so awesome. I LOVE the epidural. I didn't have one with Braydon (who came super fast - 5 minutes after we got to the hospital) and it was SO miserable. The epidural is AMAZING. So glad you had such an easy birth!!

Mary Pugh said...

Yeah! I'm ALL about the epidural! I'm so glad you had such a great experience! She us an absolute beauty!

Rochelle said...

I love reading birth stories! That one was especially fun to read. She is so sweet. I hope we get to meet in person someday!

Rob, Brooke, Breanna and Ethan said...

congratulations michal! you're whole family is beautiful and your newest addition is just a doll. i'm so glad your parents got to come out to visit you.

my mom just came out to visit and i showed her your blog, she was really excited to see your new little girl. i'm so glad this birth went well, ur other ones sound SO HARD!

congrats!

Katt said...

I LOVE epidurals, too!!!!

Kamryn is A-DOR-A-BLE! I can't get over her beautiful eyes and hair.