Sunday, March 9, 2008

Christ's Nail

We got snowed in for TWO days. It was great, except for the fact that Connor didn't get any extra days off of work for it (they cancel school all the time, but not work, this one was work worthy.) We have really enjoyed two whole days cooped up together as a family! It would have taken Connor all day to dig us out if it weren't for our nice neighbor boys!

Yesterday we were ALL up in Dylan's cute room playing. When I say all, I mean it- Connor, Dylan, Ashlyn, Corbin and I. I recently had to turn Dylan's doorknob around so that I could lock him in when I can't take it anymore. Dylan was playing around with the doorknob, pushed in the button and then shut the door- obviously not knowing what would happen. It took a second or two for it to register that we were LOCKED IN. We were really stuck. My first thoughts were:

1. To yell at someone downstairs to come unlock the door- all living things were in the room we were in
2. To call someone to rescue us- we didn't have a phone with us and no one could get in our house anyway because all our doors were locked (funny huh)
3. Break down the door- it wasn't our door to break

Our great landlord has a key for every door placed up on top of the door molding, but it didn't do us any good sitting on the other side- my bad (but did I ever imagine this would happen!) Connor so bravely volunteered that he would jump out the one, little window in the room. Since it had snowed all day and night, at least he would have a little softer landing from the second story! So we dug through all of the toys so see if we could find something to unlock that knob. But since we live in a world that is so safety conscience, there was of course no toy little enough or sharp enough to get in that little hole. I won a cool little wire picture frame at an enrichment activity- but I wasn't quite willing to let Connor dissemble it yet.

I will gladly take all the credit- I was the master mind behind our escape from the dreadful imprisonment. Actually, it was Jesus- I happened to focus in on the only hanging picture in the room and remember that it was hanging by a nail- the nail that made us free (and this can be related to more than just our families momentary, physical state.)

So I learned a few lessons:
1. Never leave the key on the side of the door that it is useless, no matter what you think won't happen
2. Always take a phone with me when going to Dylan's room- just in case
3. Never all be in the same room- just kidding!
4. I now have my own, great, new story and analogy when I have to give my next talk about how Christ died for us!

10 comments:

whitney said...

haha. that's pretty funny. i'm glad you got out! :) yay for christ's nail!

ty and megs said...

what a great story. we are in ky right now visiting b and alli and we had a crazy time getting here with all the snow! i'm sure we will blog about it later--but let's just say we are on day three and our luggage is still lost. it really stinks--or should i say WE really stink.

Tasha said...

You are such an eloquent writer.

Jenny said...

Glad you made it out!

Carrie said...

Michal, that is such a great story!! I might use it in a lesson, too!!! Glad you made it out alive!

Boston Family said...

So so funny! That is a great story. Glad to hear that ya'll are having some good ole family fun. It's even a good time of year with Easter approaching! -Megg

Maegan said...

Michal,
It sounds like a great learning experience and teaching moment. Is it hard to switch the door knob so you can look him in? It makes me feel better that you have to lock him in and take a time out for yourself, it means that I am a normal mommy.

jeanine said...

Oh my goodness! Too funny! Way to see the lesson in it though :)

Katt said...

Like I said, you should write a book on your life as a mom- such great material!
I would probably be so upset being locked in a room with my family for so long that I would probably use the nail as a defense mechanism (aka-weapon) rather than a means for escape. I'm glad your mind doesn't think like mine. :)

Dunbabin said...

wow! what a story. I'll try not to let the same happen to us!